Name: Mission San Buenaventura
Pastor: Fr. Tom Elewaut, V.F.
Office Manager: Claudia Tellez
Phone: (805) 643-4318
Email: [email protected]
A currently active Roman Catholic parish with day-school, Mission San Buenaventura is one of the 21 Spanish Missions founded in California in the 18th and 19th centuries. San Buenaventura is the ninth and final mission founded by Father Junípero Serra in March 31, 1782, the Franciscan priest and missionary responsible for the founding of the first wave of the California Missions.
Although the City of Ventura would later be officially incorporated in 1866, the founding of the Mission community in 1782 is generally considered the beginning of Ventura, California. The community takes its name from the mission, which in turn was dedicated by Father Serra to Saint Bonaventure.
The Mission is located across Main Street from the Figueroa Street Mall and Mission Park.